Known Criminal Organizations in Steel City
The arrival of the Silver Storm has broken the Compact that once kept the city quiet and apparently supervillain-free. (Oddly enough, not called the “Luxury Sedan.”) Now that there are hundreds of new metas around, the factions that made up the group are all competing in different ways, but generally announcing their presence on the same day—the day that the new Steel City Sentries were introduced to the media. Not all of them have shown themselves yet, but research while flying to the next disaster reveals at least the following groups, in alphabetical order:
- Chessmen, an upstart group headed by the Grandmaster.
- Crossing Family, a descendent of the old Irish, then Italian mobs that were heavily involved with unions in Steel City. Not particularly influential now, but were when the Compact was set up in the mid-seventies. One of the original Compact groups.
- Dragons of Heaven, the organization of Chinese tongs and Triads. One of the original Compact groups.
- FOE, the Fraternal Order of Evil, headed by a giant floating head with a distended brain, called The Big Brain. One of the original Compact groups.
- Malakov Mafiya, the spokesman Russian mafia group. One of the original Compact groups.
- Pantheon, an outside group that has never been able to get a toehold in Steel City
- Yakuza, who became members of the Compact after they became a bigger name in the late 1990s.
Note that the retired supervillains never had a specific voice in the Compact, because they felt it was better to influence the groups they had belonged to before retirement. Now, however, they’re rumoured to be forming their own group, a sort of Association for the Advancement of Retired Metahumans. (They might be working on the name.)